A U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor parks following a large-scale strike against Venezuela military targets in support of Operation Absolute Resolve, in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Jan. 3, 2026. U.S. Air Force Photo
Audio of this article is brought to you by the Air & Space Forces Association, honoring and supporting our Airmen, Guardians, and their families. Find out more at afa.org
The Air Force on Jan. 6 released nearly a dozen photos of F-22 and F-35 fighters returning to Puerto Rico after supporting the raid to capture Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro—the first official images of forces who participated in Operation Absolute Resolve.
The photos, taken by Air Forces Southern, show U.S. Air Force F-22s and F-35As, as well as Marine Corps F-35Bs, taxiing and parking in the early hours of Jan. 3, “following military actions in Venezuela,” according to the accompanying captions.
Also visible in the background are Air Force and Marine Corps C-130 variants.
The photos were taken at Roosevelt Roads Naval Station, the recently reactivated base in Ceiba, Puerto Rico.
While photos and videos of Operation Absolute Resolve have spread across social media, showing strikes at multiple locations in Venezuela, the Pentagon has released no official images of forces in action during the event. Only the White House has released photos, showing President Donald Trump and his national security team monitoring the operation from his Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida.
The F-22s and F-35s were among more than 150 aircraft used to support the operation, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Air Force Gen. Dan Caine said Jan. 4.
The F-22 Raptors departed Puerto Rico Jan. 5, as Air & Space Forces Magazine previously reported. The F-35s remain, however.
B-1 bombers, F/A-18 Super Hornet fighters, EA-18 Growler electronic attack planes, and E-2 Hawkeye early warning aircraft also supported the operation, along with intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance aircraft and numerous drones.
Mission Complete. Operation Absolute Resolve stands as a powerful example of our unwavering commitment to security and partnership in the Americas. Under the direction of @Southcom , this complex operation brought together the full strength of our joint force. pic.twitter.com/simeleUZ8M
Audio of this article is brought to you by the Air & Space Forces Association, honoring and supporting our Airmen, Guardians, and their families. Find out more at afa.org
Vital infrastructure at Minot Air Force Base, N.D., and Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, is suffering due to years of deferred maintenance and climate-related stressors, government auditors said in a new report—two prominent examples of larger issues affecting bases worldwide.
A small civilian plane carrying eight people and contracted by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers crashed Aug. 20 near a remote Alaskan radar site managed by the Air Force in support of NORAD, killing all aboard.
Some 50 miles from the border with North Korea, U.S. and South Korean forces recently executed their first counter-drone defense drills targeting medium-sized systems, which the North Korean military has has prioritized based on Russia and Iranian models.
A frayed wire likely triggered stray voltage to shut off a fuel valve, causing the catastrophic loss of an MQ-9 Reaper drone last August, according to a new Air Force investigation report.
The Air Force plans to put new F-15EX Eagle II fighters at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C., to replace older F-15E Strike Eagles that will move to Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo.
Shield AI, a specialist vying to provide the autonomy software for the Air Force’s autonomous Collaborative Combat Aircraft, has won government backing for its X-BAT drone—but not from USAF.
A major U.S. Southern Command exercise this month brought representatives from 10 Latin American countries to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., for the air component of the event, with a focus on intelligence sharing for coordinating air operations.
The Air Force’s Experimental Operations Unit hosted a change of command ceremony recently, another sign of how the CCA concept is maturing and becoming entrenched in the Air Force’s structure, to the point where exercises have generated multiple sorties in a single day to simulate high-tempo combat operations.
Search and rescue Airmen from Nellis Air Base, Nev., flew more than 200 miles in two HH-60W Jolly Green IIs last week to rescue five of their Navy helicopter crew counterparts who were forced to land in mountainous terrain near Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, Calif.
✓
Thank You!
Check your inbox to verify your email address and finish setting up your AFA account.
★
Welcome Back!
An account with this email already exists. Please log in to continue.
Subscribe to the Air & Space Forces Daily Report
The latest news from Air & Space Forces Magazine, as well as news from other leading publications, delivered right to your inbox every morning!
We’re sorry, there has been an error. Please review your input or try again later.