The Boeing folks are “extremely pleased” that the Air Force has recertified the need for the C-130 Avionics Modernization Program after its Nunn-McCurdy breach. Air Force acquisition chief, Sue Payton, told reporters Wednesday that the program would continue but at a reduced number. A Boeing statement yesterday noted the new number of Hercules getting upgrades would be 222, about 80 fewer airframes than planned previously. The company said the “recertification announcement reaffirms that, by every measure of program health—cost, quality, technology, and execution—the Boeing C-130 AMP is a successful program.”
Boeing received a $2.47 billion Air Force contract Nov. 25 for 15 more KC-46s, bringing to 183 the number of Pegasus tankers on contract to all customers, foreign and domestic. The new contract—for Lot 12 of the initially planned KC-46 buy—is to be completed by 2029.



