A U.S. Air Force B-52 Stratofortress, assigned to the 5th Bomb Wing, conducts a presence patrol mission over the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility June 12, 2024. The U.S. remains committed to regional security and is prepared to respond to any state or non-state actor seeking to broaden or escalate conflict across the region. (U.S. Air Force photo by Master Sgt. Matthew Plew)
Audio of this article is brought to you by the Air & Space Forces Association, honoring and supporting our Airmen, Guardians, and their families. Find out more at afa.org
Air Force B-52 bombers roared over the Arabian Peninsula twice last week, flying alongside an American MC-130J and allied fighters during bomber task force missions.
The Stratofortresses, originally from Minot Air Force Base, N.D., came from RAF Fairford, U.K., where they are currently deployed for a bomber task force.
The June 12 and June 14 flights “incorporated fighter escorts from several coalition nations,” Air Forces Central said in a release, though they did not disclose what nations flew alongside the B-52. The release noted that the flights included passes over the Red Sea and Arabian Gulf.
“Bomber Task Force missions highlight the U.S.’s ability to rapidly field combat airpower while enhancing training opportunities and interoperability for regional allies and partners operating alongside U.S. forces,” the release stated.
On at least one flight, the B-52 was joined by a U.S. Special Operations Command-operated MC-130J. AFCENT noted in its release that the MC-130J took part in familiarization training this spring, with Airmen in the Middle East orienting themselves on “palletized effects”—cruise missiles on a pallet dropped out the back of cargo aircraft.
The B-52s’ tour over the Middle East comes as the region remains on edge. Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza continues, and Houthi rebels in Yemen have intensified their attacks on shipping in the Red Sea. Over the past several days, U.S. Central Command said it struck several Houthi missile launchers, sensors and drones, though it did not disclose what assets it used to conduct the strikes.
In April, B-1 bombers on a rotation in Spain deployed to Turkey for exercises, bringing them close to the Middle East. In February, B-1s flew from the continental U.S. to take part in dozens of airstrikes in Iraq, Syria, and Yemen. And last November, B-1s flew three missions in CENTCOM over the course of eight days.
It’s been a little while longer since a B-52 flew over the region—in March 2023, a B-52 from Minot was escorted by fighters from seven different countries during a bomber task force mission.
Audio of this article is brought to you by the Air & Space Forces Association, honoring and supporting our Airmen, Guardians, and their families. Find out more at afa.org
The Air Force pulled a KC-135 out of storage at the “Boneyard” in early April, three weeks after another one of the service’s Stratotankers crashed in Iraq during Operation Epic Fury.
The first F-15EX Eagle IIs will arrive at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan, in 2027—a year later than originally planned—and the last of 36 planned fighters will likely get there in 2028, Air Force Secretary Troy Meink said May 21.
U.S. Air Force MQ-9 Reaper drones have been the standout platform in Operation Epic Fury against Iran, Chief of Staff Gen. Kenneth S. Wilsbach said May 20.
The Air Force’s planned budget amendment to restore funding for the E-7A Wedgetail in fiscal 2027 will be about $1.5 billion, Air Force Secretary Troy Meink told lawmakers May 20. The Air Force also plans to keep funding the E-7 in 2028 and beyond, Meink told the House Armed Services…
Air Force Secretary Troy Meink told lawmakers May 20 that the program to build a new long-range nuclear cruise missile is performing “very well” in both cost and schedule—but will require support as it enters a critical phase.
Strikes carried out by the U.S. military in coordination with Nigeria have killed scores of Islamic State fighters over the last several days, officials from both countries say, as the Trump administration has stepped up its counterterrorism campaign in Africa.
With a shrinking fleet and growing operational demand, Air Force Special Operations Command sees the new OA-1K combat scout aircraft as key to a “new era,” officials say.
✓
Thank You!
Check your inbox to verify your email address and finish setting up your AFA account.
★
Welcome Back!
An account with this email already exists. Please log in to continue.
Subscribe to the Air & Space Forces Daily Report
The latest news from Air & Space Forces Magazine, as well as news from other leading publications, delivered right to your inbox every morning!
We’re sorry, there has been an error. Please review your input or try again later.