Top Pentagon officials last week briefed President Bush on a recent cyber attack that seemed to target US Central Command networks and may have originated within Russia, reports the Los Angeles Times. There are frequent electronic attacks on US military computer systems, but an anonymous defense official told the newspaper, “This one was significant; this one got our attention.” Adm. Michael Mullen, Joint Chiefs Chairman, briefed both Bush and Defense Secretary Robert Gates on the attack, which US military experts are still investigating but, as is usual with most cyber attacks, will have trouble determining whether it was the product of a lone hacker or involved the Russian government directly. The attack reportedly prompted DOD to issue a ban on flash drives, which are heavily used throughout the US military but which can spread the malicious software.
Details Murky as ARRW Falls Short in Second Test
March 24, 2023
The second all-up flight of the AGM-183A Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon on March 13 fell short of a fully successful test, but the Air Force isn’t saying what went wrong with the Lockheed Martin-built hypersonic missile. The defense giant's Missiles and Fire Control division recently said the ARRW is "ready…