Check Your W-2

Some 30,000 Active Duty airmen spread across the service received Form W-2s for their 2011 taxes that contain errors. “The bottom line is everyone needs to check their W-2 through MyPay and see if they’ve been identified as someone who has been affected by the discrepancy,” said Capt. Tracy Busmann, comptroller for the 380th Air Expeditionary Wing in Southwest Asia. Wing officials said changes in state-level tax laws caused the errors in the Defense Finance and Accounting Service-issued W-2s. According to Busman, DFAS has identified “most of the accounts” with the bad W-2s and is notifying the major commands and the affected airmen. Those airmen will be issued a corrected Form W-2, designated W-2C, said Busmann. If an airman has already filed his taxes with the bogus W-2, he’ll need to file an amended tax return, said Busmann. (380th AEW report by SSgt. J.G. Buzanowski)